TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?

Go down 
+8
Lolita Rose
Apocalypse
beautyindecay
MoonRaven
cynfullov
RedAngel
Ginger_Snaps
ravengrim
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Evil10
More Numbers : 7683317
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Empty
PostSubject: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:16 am

IMO a stupid and misleading article.But it's loosely related to fashion,I guess.

The degree to which Americans have stopped shopping is getting almost as scary as our over-consumption used to be. Yesterday we learned that men worldwide had stopped buying underwear, a disturbing development because former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan had famously fixed upon the metric as one of the most consistent, recession-proof sales figures in retail.

But it turns out demand for men's underwear is more elastic than we thought (even if, heh, the elastic itself isn't so much anymore.) Sales are projected to drop 2.3 this year. And elsewhere in the shopping universe, the February retail sales released yesterday portended a veritable bloodbath of red ink for the nation's mall retailers. The worst pain was reserved for Nieman Marcus and Abercrombie & Fitch, whose affluent customers cut back their habits to the tune of 30 and 34%, respectively. And the four chains that managed to keep sales flat or modestly up from February 2008 were off-price or discount stores. With one exception...

It's Hot Topic! The 681-store purveyor of spiked leather wrist cuffs, True Blue Raw hair dye, painful-looking body jewelry and assorted other signature accessories of misanthropic adolescent subcultures like "Goth." So that's what the nation's teenage boys are buying with the money they save wearing holey underwear? Is the Depression turning good kids into antsocial derelicts in black lipstick who will never get jobs? Well, yes on that last part. But Hot Topic has also apparently profited handsomely from its association with Twilight, a movie about a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire only to attract the attention of a rival vampire who bites her wrist, prompting the boyfriend vampire to kill the rival vampire and save her life so they don't have to miss the prom. Whatever the case, teenage angst needs no stimulus package.

The best part is when the author calls goths "antsocial derelicts in black lipstick who will never get jobs"
I wish I knew the author of this pile of junk.I'd like to personally tell him a thing or two about gothic culture.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580963
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I've been wearing the same old pairs of underwear for years. I don't throw mine away unless the elastic completely gives out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 pm

"Is the Economy Turning America's Children Goth"!

hahahahahahahahahah!! Laughing

It *is* a stupid and misleading article, but hilarious from the stance of "what will they think of next."
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7640883
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Most teenage boys don't buy their own underwear.
They're mom's buy it.

Last edited by cynfullov on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:10 pm

^^Very true! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7675931
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 am

Or their girlfriends hahahah
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
beautyindecay
beautyindecay

Number of posts : 125
More Numbers : 7558985
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:59 am

"antsocial derelicts in black lipstick who will never get jobs"

Pfft...... Sure, many of us have to slave away at boring menial jobs just to afford the extensive wardrobe.

I work and go to school to better myself and to dramatically increase my income.

After all corsets, dane, and new rocks don't just grow on trees !
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sarahhdz
Apocalypse
Apocalypse

Number of posts : 237
More Numbers : 7549831
Registration date : 2008-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:01 am

Considering how many goths swear they wouldn't shop at Hot Topic, I think it's the scene kids that are giving it the increased business. But regardless, One possibility that may have eluded the author could be that their parents don't have the money to buy their clothes at the gap, and now the kid's are getting jobs to help out with expenses and buying their own clothes, where they want to get them. But then again, it's just a guess as I haven't put any serious research into my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/apocalypsenotquiteyet
beautyindecay
beautyindecay

Number of posts : 125
More Numbers : 7558985
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 am

The ever growing popularity of hot topic has to do with the whole twilight frenzy.

My Hanna Montana loving cousin was waiting in line for the midnight release of the dvd, and she has every stupid little novelty that has to do with that horrid movie.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sarahhdz
Lolita Rose
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7566957
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, that has to be one of the more poorly written and unorganized articles I've read.
"Is the Depression turning good kids into antsocial derelicts in black lipstick who will never get jobs?" Heh...really? I'd like to show him my resume. Its not much now, but I'm sure I could find some fellow goths with rather impressive job histories.
So from what I can gather, the author is trying to say Hot Topic continues to rake in profits while other companies lose sales, because teenage boys are buying goth clothes instead of underwear. (What?...) And then something about Hot Topic being successful due to selling Twilight merch. So he pretty much discredited his own article there in the end.
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7566162
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 4:42 pm

ya and I always remembered hot topic being super expensive as well. Even the movie/music merchandise was overpriced. I know people who stopped buying band shirts at HT and bought them cheaper on-line.

I clicked on the authors name and there is a blog you can comment on.....I think I might give it a go.

I also blame emo kids for all the silly goth labels lol hehe.
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Evil10
More Numbers : 7313669
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm

cynfullov wrote:
They're mom's buy it.

Thank you, Cyn! You read my mind!
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Spooky
vip member
Spooky

Scorpio Rooster
Number of posts : 1421
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? 6tpz4k
More Numbers : 7570797
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 am

GothicScrybe wrote:
cynfullov wrote:
They're mom's buy it.

Thank you, Cyn! You read my mind!

Ding Ding Ding

The line; "antisocial derelicts in black lipstick who will never get jobs", was pretty much a dickish generalization, but the core point of the article has some merit.

Look at the recession that hit Europe in the early 70's, the lack of money, abandoned buildings, closed shops, substandard schools, over-taxation and war; the forgotten or ignored children found an outlet in fashion, art and music, creating Punk and Goth. Ten years later in America when all the same problems happened to this society, Punk and Goth made a resurgence. Punk and Goth have a DYI attitude that's fueled by the irritation and anger endemic in the feelings of the youth in a society that lets them suffer. The entire Hip-Hop culture is the same way; art, music and fashion bred from a portion of society that suffers from the government, businesses, and the education system completely ignoring or forgetting about the need of the youth. The natural human backlash of venting these emotions is either creativity, violence or crime. Sometimes art and crime even blend together as one, forming the very politically volatile punk and hip-hop movements.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fetishfactory.com
WrappedinReflection
star member
WrappedinReflection

Virgo Cat
Number of posts : 3078
: : Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7555426
Registration date : 2008-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 4:05 pm

This article is pretty ridiculous. All the goths I know, including us in here, have jobs, or if they don't due the current economic/workplace downfall, they did have them or are looking for one. I see way more "normies" that would rather play video games than get a job more often than I see goths not working or trying to at least use their creativity to get extra money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.viewbug.com/member/scphotographic
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"?   Is The Economy Turning America's Children "Goth"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1