TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights Empty
PostSubject: Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights   Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Full page

FirePitArt.com, LLC and owner Rick Wittrig have filed suit against me in federal court seeking to overturn my formally registered copyrights in order to continue selling unlicensed knockoffs of my work. He argues that my original Artisanal Firebowls are not properly classified as sculptural artwork, despite the fact that Wittrig sells his copies at art fairs, describes himself publicly as an artist, and even uses the word art in the name of his business. When Wittrig first launched his website he offered only six designs of firepits all of which bear an uncanny resemblance to my Artisanal Firebowl sculptures. One of these even initially bore the exact same name as my Waves O' Fire. He appears to be mass-producing these designs, and is selling them at discounted prices on several of the largest internet retail sites devoted to outdoor living. Prior to the launch of his website, I have been unable to find any documentation of Wittrig making any original art.

I have gained an international reputation for my Artisanal Firebowls, unique works of art hand-crafted from 100% recycled propane tanks which I have been creating since 2005. I’ve worked hard to build a reputation for honesty, quality work, customer service and approachability. I am concerned about people confusing my art with the work of another because I have no way of insuring that they experience the same quality, attention to detail, and integrity. When Wittrig began selling his firepits which so closely resemble my work, I began seeing instances of confusion over authorship almost immediately. An artist messaged me on Twitter, believing she had met me at a Tennessee art fair. Photos of Wittrig's firepits were posted to a blog and mistakenly attributed as my own. I got an email from a landscape architect I had discussed commissions with in the past. She wrote:

I met this guy at a local festival this weekend and his work was so similar to yours I went over and introduced myself. Something was not right, but I was not sure that it was not you until I came back and checked your site... I was excited to meet (you) in person and he was aloof...? I am aggravated now knowing that he allowed me to go on and never said that I must be mistaking him for someone else.

This email was a kick in the gut on so many levels. Not only had my most popular and well known artwork been copied, but the imitator had also offended a client who might easily have continued to believe he was me.

Concerned about preserving my reputation and rapport with art buyers, I sent a Cease and Desist letter on April 30th, 2009 asking that Mr. Wittrig cease manufacturing the designs which were being confused as my own. A letter of flat refusal came back in response. In further correspondence, I explained my concerns over confusion of authorship, provided his attorney with copies of the copyright certificates as well as the original photos used to apply for copyright. I stated clearly that I have no objection to him creating original works that could share the marketplace in their own niche. Several times in the course of correspondence, I asked Wittrig to provide any evidence that his designs were original works. Given the opportunity to deny copying my designs, Wittrig did not— he only asserted that he was within his rights to continue making them on a large scale. Then he filed suit to have my copyrights removed, as well as for damages and legal fees.

By suing me first, Wittrig has created a situation where a default judgment will be entered in his favor unless I am able to finance a full defense in court. I did not initiate this lawsuit, but am defending my art, my rights, my reputation and my livelihood against attack by a manufacturer. I've already spent over $50,000 out of pocket in defense of my original designs. Seeking a judicial ruling in federal court will cost more than any small business can afford on it's own, but I fear it may be the only way to resolve this dispute. My hope is that the community which has been so supportive of my art over the years will continue to help me in this dire time.

This guy has some pretty cool artwork... and if you check the other person's site, yeah. They look almost exactly like this guy's work. I hope me gets enough so he can go to court.
Back to top Go down

Artist sewed by Imitator for Copyrights
Page 1 of 1