TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Evil10
More Numbers : 7683317
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Empty
PostSubject: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Professor Bloom also regretted “the Americanisation of the vampire” to be found, for example, in Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight books, where “the dangerous violent aristocrat has become the dark boy no one talks to and who’s eternally 17”.

Speakers related Dracula to its original context of Victorian spiritualism, urban legends of a “monster” called “Spring-heeled Jack” and anxieties about religion, invasion and masculinity. Others looked at the novel’s reinvention everywhere from Turkey to Mexico and attempted to “rethink the menstrual vampire”, to explain why vampires are “as ubiquitous as the Big Mac” in the US and to decide whether “every generation gets the vampire it deserves”.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7677946

Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Neutral twilight is not the "Americanized vampire", if anything Lestat and Spike are. Those twilight vampires are mormon vampires. Everyone seems to just gloss over the fact that Meyer's wrote a series about mormon vamps & werewolfs with mormon values and no ones spreading it so far. I kind of get what their saying though, we are just kind of making a vamp for everyone big-mac style.
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Evil10

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I sort of understand it as well.

But Lestat and Spike were at least scary sometimes,well until the last season or so of Buffy.

These guys study Stoker and Vampires though so I'd imagine they understand nuances about vampire literature that we never will.

I just can't grasp the appeal of Twilight myself.
Back to top Go down
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:01 pm

endless dark wrote:
Neutral twilight is not the "Americanized vampire", if anything Lestat and Spike are. Those twilight vampires are mormon vampires. Everyone seems to just gloss over the fact that Meyer's wrote a series about mormon vamps & werewolfs with mormon values and no ones spreading it so far. I kind of get what their saying though, we are just kind of making a vamp for everyone big-mac style.

LOLz

Sort of on the same topic
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires Bjevig
More Numbers : 7580963
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't know. If it's not Nosferatu, then it's not a vampire.

The literary concept that a vampire has sex appeal is a relatively new one since most mythical vampires were essentially glorified zombies that had enough intelligence to stalk their prey instead of just chasing blindly at it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 pm

^^ I think the sexualization of vampires is an extension of the fears they represent: you could fall from grace despite your best intentions, thanks to the seductive capabilities of evil.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
deadcoldgothgirl
supernova
deadcoldgothgirl

Sagittarius Snake
Number of posts : 6332
: : Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7579753
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm upset that I'm admitting this, but here we go. I read all of the books. At the time I was in that crappy relationship with anthony. I liked the books because I felt that rush of love and lust I missed from my relationship. When the movies started to come out and people were going insane over merchandise, I backed up. I liked the story line. I didn't think it should be taken seriously or reach that level of stardom. To this day I refuse to watch the movies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/gothic_freak
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires   Stoker experts bite back against Twilight and ‘Americanised’ teen vampires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1