TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Madelchai
vip member
Madelchai

Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 1318
: : Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? Bjevig
More Numbers : 7579753
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? Empty
PostSubject: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Alright, so, I have a pal who's looking for what kind of paint would be best to use on the above types of fabrics. Any ideas/experience?
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? 25883sk
More Numbers : 7409898
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Will the fabric be worn (and washed, in theory) or displayed on a wall?

If displayed: probably fine with acrylic, which dries to a thin plastic consistency.

If worn: I'll see what I can find out.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Madelchai
vip member
Madelchai

Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 pm

It is apparently going to be for painting a flag.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 am

I'll look into it during lunch. I'm a half-block away from the art supply shop.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7640883
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:32 pm

I'll try to help too, but I have a question. What color of fabric is your friend using?

I totally forgot, because I don't think of them as paint, but I use fabric markers a lot. I've done a few T-shirts and pillow cases using them. So I'm wondering if they could be used on nylon without bleeding into the fabric? But if your using a white basic nylon it might not work for making a flag because your design would show through to the other side. It also depends on what type of textured look your after.

Is this going to be like heirloom quality your friend wants ? I know of course you want it to *represent*, but there are so many types of fabric paints out there. Even spray can types made especially for fabrics. Fabrics that your going to wear. How much money are we talking on spending on it?

Also I'm obsessed with glow in the dark paint. It's really cool for night time events. there's a thought just thrown in there. Since this isn't something your friend is going to wear....if you want to go cheap you just might could use non-"fabric" spraycan paint. And to if you wanna go free hand graffiti style. You just have to spray it on light in thickness on some fabrics.

I don't know why I was assuming this was going to be for clothing and not a craft project. I blame those nice photos of you in your Toy Soldier Uniform.

Welp... time to get to raising the Flag! Is this gonna be a Toy Soldier Flag?
Back to top Go down
Madelchai
vip member
Madelchai

Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 pm

cynfullov wrote:
Welp... time to get to raising the Flag! Is this gonna be a Toy Soldier Flag?

Yeah, I believe that's what he's going to be shooting for, so the fabric itself will probably be black.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 pm

OK, I just spoke with the owner of the art supply shop. He's been selling supplies and housepaint for more than 40 yrs., so I know he knows materials.

He agrees that acrylic paints should work out well. There should be no adhesion problem with nylon; he's not as sure about poly (because it reacts a little differently to moisture), but I don't think you'll have a problem. Test a corner first to find out. Let the paint dry naturally, then he suggests curing the paint by putting the painted flag(s) in a dryer. I've never tried this; sounds good, but I would use med-high heat, not the absolute highest heat setting.

He also said you'll be fine just using water-based exterior housepaint. I guess the less expensive option depends on how many colors you're using: a little pot of housepaint could run about the same as a tube or two of acrylic.

And of course, with black you shouldn't have a problem with the design showing through from the other side. With a lighter color fabric it's something to keep in mind.

If you need some shine to the paint, you could try brushing on a thin layer of gel medium over the painted part. Normally you mix it in, but that might affect adhesion in this case. Not sure about the dryer-curing after that, though. And if you do use gel medium, and you've been using masking tape to give a crisp edge to the design, take the tape off before using gel medium. The stuff makes a pretty good glue -- I learned the hard way.

More info than you ever wanted. The cost for this, ahem, "expert" advice is a visit to GraceStudios. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Madelchai
vip member
Madelchai

Sagittarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 am

RedAngel wrote:
More info than you ever wanted. The cost for this, ahem, "expert" advice is a visit to GraceStudios. Very Happy

There's always a catch!

Well ok, I shall go see what that's all about then. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?   Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nylon or Polyester: What kind of paint to use?
Page 1 of 1