TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores

Go down 
+9
Lolita Rose
Madelchai
Morwenna
helen damnation
TheDarkHippie
Ginger_Snaps
Succubus
RedAngel
ravengrim
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Empty
PostSubject: Rich People Discover A Secret We''ve Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:26 pm

A Truly Green (and Frugal) Fashion Choice: Thrift Stores

It feels like a new socially responsible fashion line emerges every week: handbags made from organic hemp, sunglasses fabricated from 100% renewable materials, jewelry crafted from recycled gold and responsibly mined gems. Green fashion is almost mainstream: you can purchase your organic cotton t-shirt from Barney's...or from Old Navy. Don't get me wrong, these are all wonderful developments, but they continue to feed our insatiable appetite for consuming "new stuff."

It's time to start thinking about a fashion choice that doesn't come with a "feel good" eco sound bite: your local thrift store, vintage shop, or a clothing swap between friends. With the economic downturn, shoppers have started to wean themselves off Macy's and learned to love pre-owned designer merchandise. (Oh, and if you're turned off by thrift store cooties, I'll help you get past that a bit later.)

For the eco-minded out there (those of you who shop locally, bring your own bags to the grocery store, monitor the parabens and bisphenal A in your life), it's time to take note: besides being a way to snag high-quality, fashionable threads for a bargain, second hand shopping is one of the most socially responsible shopping choices you can make.

Just consider today's most rampant "disposable fashion" item: a cotton shirt, available for less than $20. This fictional shirt started out as cotton in a pesticide-laden field in the US. It was shipped to China, where it was milled, woven, and then dyed using harsh chemicals that leaked into the local water system. It was cut and sewn by children working in appalling conditions, before being shipped back to the US and sold. It's a process that keeps the price low at the expense of quality, the environment, energy resources and labor practices.

And even your sweat shop-free, organic, vegetable dyed, carbon offset garment has consumed energy. Some virgin materials were likely used. The item was produced, packaged, and shipped, perhaps several thousand miles. It was likely marketed in some way, maybe on the pages of a magazine that was printed on virgin paper.

Comparatively, no energy is spent to create a second-hand item. If you purchase a shirt from a thrift store, you're basically saving it from landfill (according to the EPA Office of Solid Waste, Americans throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year). Another benefit: second hand products have also likely finished "off-gassing" their most noxious chemicals. Many new items such as clothing, carpet and furniture release potentially harmful gases (including VOCs: Volatile Organic Compounds). Off gassing usually decreases as products age, are washed, etc., making second-hand items a safer option for your home.

If you think thrift stores are home to nothing but pilled sweaters and 1980's prom dresses, think again. You may have to weed through a lot of fashion crimes, but you will find amazing designer clothing that looks like it's never been worn (and quite often, it hasn't). I have found a drawer-full of pristine cashmere sweaters, designer handbags (including a gorgeous white Ferragamo purse), Ellen Tracy blouses and a Benetton suit with the tags still on...along with a closet-full of other fashion scores. Oh, and I rarely pay more than $8 for any item! And if you're tired of "throwaway fashion:" items that wrinkle, bunch, tear along the seams and shed buttons, go to your thrift store, where you can suddenly afford cashmere, wool, silk and designer labels.

Thrift stores are also a fantastic way to support your local community in these tough times. Your money is almost always going towards a charitable cause, and the stores themselves often serve as job training programs.

Not into wading through heaps of junk? Head to a chic vintage shop, an upscale consignment store, or a resale chain such as Buffalo Exchange or Crossroads Trading Co. You'll pay a slight premium for the benefit of an organized and well-edited shopping experience, while still reaping the benefits of thrift store shopping.

Finally, if you're squeamish about thrift stores and the "pre-owned" factor: have you have ever stayed in a hotel? Are you sure they washed the comforter or wiped down the remote? If you eat food from restaurants, do really know what's lurking under the salami in your sub sandwich? And if you've tried on pants in a store, chances are they've made contact with someone else's crotch, and you've been exposed to just as many cooties as you'll find at the average thrift store. Carefully inspected and then laundered, second hand fashion is cleaner than the escalator handrail at the mall.

So give recycled fashion a try: it's cheap, chic and truly green.

Funny to read this in a well known paper's fashion section.I guess times really are hard all over the place.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Definitely. Looking through thrift stores is a hit-or-miss venture -- I often leave empty-handed and a little disappointed -- but when you *do* find something that you like and fits you, it's like finding buried treasure! I really like it when something very nice is left on the rack just because someone else didn't want to repair it: it's missing buttons or has a seam that's coming undone, etc. I look at it and think, I can fix that! And it goes home with me.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7540492
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I have to say this ..when younger my mother did not have access to a whole lot of funds and we did a whole lot of thrift shopping and I still do it now.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 25883sk
More Numbers : 7423028
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Yep, my mom and grandma and I did too, when I was younger. Smile We found some great unique stuff, just because someone else didn't want it anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:49 pm

I definitely love it when I find a good shirt at the thrift store--like opening up the perfect Christmas gift.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7356574
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:58 pm

I hate to use to go to thrift shops....but now I just love it! It is always great to find something for waaay cheaper then it was when it was first bought!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7687756

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I bought my first Crombie from Oxfam in the mid 80s. It was beautiful, had blood red satin lining and I used to wear it all the time even in the height of Summer. It was a little stunner and cost me £2.00 Smile
Needless to say my Mum HATED it - she's a Marks and Spencers lady
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
More Numbers : 7594093

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 3:58 am

Marks and Spencers, I assume that/those is/are "sensible" shops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
Morwenna
star member
Morwenna

Capricorn Cat
Number of posts : 3717
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 25a7xqo
More Numbers : 7589426
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 5:53 am

I bought my doc martens at a thrift store. $100 shoes for $1.75 heck yeah!
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:21 pm

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
Marks and Spencers, I assume that/those is/are "sensible" shops.

Probably the most "sensible" shop in the UK shock

Their sensible big pants frighten me but they do have a bust measuring service which is their only saving grace in my opinion. Almost but not quite as bad as the hideous Next sick
Back to top Go down
Madelchai
vip member
Madelchai

Sagittarius Rooster
Number of posts : 1318
More Numbers : 7592883

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 am

The thrift store a few buildings down closed. sad or frown
Back to top Go down
Lolita Rose
Lolita Rose

Scorpio Horse
Number of posts : 114
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Th_cil10
More Numbers : 7580087
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 4:19 pm

I've been shopping at thrift stores since I was a little kid. We never had a lot of extra money, so most of my clothing was either from there or hand-made.
Sadly the thrift store right down the street from us closed down long before I reached my teen years and my love for goth clothing. Otherwise I would've been there all the time.

Goodwill is a good place to get cheap second hand clothing. I remember picking up this really pretty black satin shirt, and a lace shirt for a few dollars there. The satin shirt stayed as it was, but the lace one fell to my 'lets see if I can make gloves' experiments.

I have to wonder why its only now that they're figuring this out. >_> I've never really seen the appeal of buying a piece of clothing just because there's a designer label attached. My one rule for clothing shopping is I only buy what I can't make myself.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:36 pm

The shops around us are thriving! Bought some gorgeous purple leopard skin material the other day - now I have to find a friend who can sew Laughing
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7590716

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:08 pm

TO ALL RICH PEOPLE:

STAY OUT OF MY THRIFT STORES!!!!!!!!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:19 pm

^^Fine! Rolling Eyes Just kidding. LOL

I have a bone to pick with the Goodwill by my job. They save all the good stuff to decorate the windows (to lure you in), but then the stuff they have inside is crap. And God forbid you should ask a salesperson to get you something from the window. Mad
Back to top Go down
albinasamara
albinasamara

Gemini Rooster
Number of posts : 338
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores 2cf2wwg
More Numbers : 7590716

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Diva that happens a lot in the thrift stores around here too. I wonder if it's a universal thing.

Last edited by albinasamara on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/albinasamara
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7356574
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:22 pm

probably is. I know alot of the thrift stores in TN do that. But usually it is with "normal" clothing...I don't know about the ones around here though...I still have to find some.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7595057

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 pm

You know, I find that the independent thrift stores have a better selection of stuff than the larger organizations like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Anyone else have similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
More Numbers : 7326799
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm

La Diva Carlotta wrote:
You know, I find that the independent thrift stores have a better selection of stuff than the larger organizations like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes La Diva. I have said that for years.

The Salvation Army and GoodWill are only interested in profit, while the smaller stores are just interested in keeping their doors open.

There is a new one two towns over from me that I will go and check out as soon as funds and time allows.

There used to be one in the same plaza that was to die for but they closed. I hope this one is run by the same people...and stays open this time.
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
beautyindecay
beautyindecay

Number of posts : 125
More Numbers : 7572115
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 6:03 am

I love thrift stores, but lately, everyone has been catching on to them and the ones in my area are getting expensive as buying a new set of clothes in the first place
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/sarahhdz
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
More Numbers : 7326799
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 11:47 am

beautyindecay wrote:
I love thrift stores, but lately, everyone has been catching on to them and the ones in my area are getting expensive as buying a new set of clothes in the first place

That is true, but being as I buy clothes that others don't, I can hit the clearance racks and get some nice bargains. Try yard sales too.

They are a gold mine. Granted, you have to look and many are miss, but many are hits too

Happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores   Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rich People Discover A Secret We've Always Known:Thrift Stores
Page 1 of 1